Friday, November 20, 2009

Bento (38) - Potluck Soy Bunnies

This week was a little light on bento lunches - with a heavy bento session at the end! We had our Thanksgiving potluck today, and I decided to show off my mad bento skills and make soy bunny/edamame cupcakes and somen chickie swirls. Thanks to an HOA meeting, I started boiling eggs, etc. last night at 9:40 p.m. LOL! I got the somen swirls and edamame done last night, but had to get up at 5:15 a.m. to prepare the rest. Good news: I got lots of compliments - Bad News: hardly anyone tried them! (I had 14 out of 24 left!!!). Apparently people fear quail eggs. Fear the chickies! FEAR THEM!!!!

Close-up! The orange things in with the bunnies are carrots. The chickies were accompanied by somen, spaghetti sauce, peas, and corn.

7 comments:

  1. It might have been that they were just too cute. People who aren't used to bento sometimes are hesitant to eat cute food. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I'm sometimes hesitant to eat cute food. Even my own! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about some of your earlier comments about needing to add protein to some of your bento. Soy beans (edamame) are actually a great source of protein. I was looking up nutrition details, and this website was saying that it is the only common plant that has complete protein. Interesting stuff: http://www.nsrl.uiuc.edu/aboutsoy/soynutrition.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought of you when I saw this. Here is the URL:

    http://tech.msn.com/products/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=22549460&imageindex=3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anne! Actually, we should all be grateful I don't have a lot of spare cash on hand - or my house would be flooded with things like the Dream Machine (it lets you make shaped egg yolks ::drool::) and other bizarre inventions. I'm a sucker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! It will be a hard one to top next year. Heh.

    ReplyDelete